Compaq TC1100 Tablet PC (1.0 GHz Pentium M (Centrino) 512 MB RAM 40 GB Hard Drive)


Way Better than Carpal Tunnel! 4

I have been using pen-based input since Windows 3.11 for Pen Computing mostly to avoid wracking my hands wrists and fingers with typing.



I have also used a variety of the latest generation of tablets. All of them have their strong points but what I like best about the Compaq is that it runs in silence. Except for the fan popping on every once in a while you don't even know there's a computer behind the screen. Also the feel of the pen on the glass is very nice; like writing with an expensive ceramic-ball pen.



The image on the screen is crystal clear. Even a bifocalled old geezer like me has no trouble sitting in a chair tablet in lap and working the afternoon away. The battery really does last 3 and a half to 4 hours depending on what you're doing.



The machine is fast and powerful enough for most needs but it is not a gamer. My advice is to buy as much memory as you can afford. Be aware that punctuation-intensive tasks like huge bibliographies or lengthy coding can get pretty frustrating with a pen. Doing lots of spreadsheet input can be a drag too.



For you first timers it'll take a little practice getting used to using the pen to the best advantage but most folks are smart enough to figure things out on their own. I find the pen relaxing to use.



The 1100 will use a passive (no battery) or active (battery) pen. I find the passive pen less sensitive to my gentle touch but less likely to glitch out. The active pen gives faster response but it can go nutsy on me especially when the hard to find quadruple-A battery starts to die.



I suggest disabling the pen's button.



It is a great machine to haul to the library or to use in meeting not only because it's light and easy to carry but because there is no keyboard clatter. Be warned it will attract attention.



I have the dock and use both an external and the attached small but adequate keyboard. Really though the machine only shines when used as it's designed to be used; with a pen as a tablet. 98% of the time I use it with no keyboard at all.



I've tried a variety of cases and covers but don't like any of them since they detract from the immediate nature of the pen interface. Plus the 1100 is so pretty that I hate to cover it up.



It's a blast - like Star Trek.

It is the Etch-a-Sketch I dreamed of when I was 10 years old! More detail ...